Saturday, March 28, 2009

Poco Wine Room

Last night we tried out Poco Wine Room, in the street level retail space of a condo building on Capitol Hill. You step directly into a pocket-sized space of a 5-seat bar and two tables, with a larger seating area upstairs that peeks out over the entry. Behind the bar and up into the second level was my favorite part of the interior, a wall of vertical wood strips done in high relief. Perhaps a bit of ad hoc carpentry? That and the glossy wood-striated bar are reminiscent of Frank’s, we thought. I also really liked the big metal panels that juxtapose nicely with all of that warm wood.

I started with a glass of the Malbec, happy hour priced at $2 off. For bites I had the toasted coppa sandwich with camembert and a fabulous fig jam, along with pickled beets, arugula, and chevre. Although delicious, the portions are definitely on the petite side. If you’re aiming to make a meal out of the bites, or even the plate of truffled mac n’ cheese, it’s a bit of a challenge. I might try the advertised “value night” on Sunday: wine for $6 and food for $8.

One of the best things about dropping in on Poco was that I got to visit a corner of Capitol Hill that I rarely do. Just a couple of blocks in opposite directions you’ll find Spinasse, and Ethan Stowell’s new Anchovies & Olives, two places I’ve been wanting to try. My friend had exactly the right suggestion: Come to Poco for a glass of wine while you’re waiting for a table at one of these, then the aforementioned bites can be just that, the first stop in an evening of fantastic food.

[Image courtesy of Poco Wine Room]

No comments:

Post a Comment