Sunday, May 10, 2009

The transferable skill of fitted sheet folding

A funny thing happened to me this weekend. I was working an event in Federal Way for Friends of the Hylebos and we were using three of those pop-up canopies with detachable covers. (You know, like the kind used by all of your favorite vendors at the farmers market.) After two days and a couple of set-ups and tear-downs of the canopies I came to an interesting realization about folding the covers, once detached. I picked one up and realized that it had shaped corners, exactly like a fitted sheet. With the help of another pair of hands -– it’s bigger than your average sheet, after all –- we were able to fold the cover lickety split. The peaked shape of the canopy makes for a funny pokey-out bit when you’re trying to wrangle it, so the sail folding skills learned in childhood came in handy with evening out the uneven shape.

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that the skills used in folding a fitted sheet can be applied to other aspects of one’s life. If you too would like to become a folding wizard, check out my previous post and how-to video.

No comments:

Post a Comment